Penggunaan MUCH, MANY, A LOT OF, PLENTY OF, A FEW, A LITTLE dan lainnya
- He has a lot of money.
- There is still plenty of time.
- I have some money for you.
- A few villagers come from Malaysia.
- Take a little water.
- He wants some milk for his dog.
- None of the students wore white shirts.
- Sorry. I have little time to talk to you.
Berikut adalah quantifiers yang HANYA digunakan untuk kata benda yang dapat dihitung (countable nouns):
Few, a few, many, both, each, neither, several, fewer
Contoh dalam kalimat:
- Few people came here.
- I haven't got many friends here.
- Both the supermarkets were crowded last night.
- We need several people to help us here.
- Two shops were open but neither of the shops sold sugar.
“Much, a little, little and a bit of” dipakai di depan uncountable nouns—misalnya time (waktu), money (uang), luck (keberuntungan) dan lain-lainnya
Much time (banyak waktu), much fat (banyak lemak), little money (sedikit uang).
Many and few dipakai dengan kata benda dapat dihitung (countable nouns)—misalnya books, people, tables, cars, houses.
Many books (banyak buku), a few stores( Sedikit tokok), many cars (banyak mobil), a few houses (sedikit rumah), many roads (banyak jalan)
“A lot of (lots of)” and” plenty of” dapat digunakan baik dengan kata benda dapat dihitung (countable noun) maupun yang tidak (uncountable noun).
A lot of rice=banyak nasi. Nasi (rice) termasuk uncountable noun.
A lot of friends= banyak teman. Teman(friend) termasuk countable noun.
Lots of cars = banyak mobile. Mobil (car) termasuk countable noun.
Lots of water =banyak air. Air (water) termasuk uncountable noun.
Anda bisa menggunakan a lot tanpa of setelah kata bend.
I eat a lot of rice.
I eat rice a lot.
Plenty berarti “lebih dari cukup”walaupun kadang-kadang diterjemah sebagai "banyak"
I have plenty of time now.
My friends have plenty of money.
Many dan much digunakan dalam kalimat negative or interrogative.
Do you have much time tonight?
I don’t have many relatives here.
She doesn’t have much money in the bank.
Hati-hati dengan penggunaan few and little. Ketika digunakan tanpa “a”, artinya menjadi negative.
I have little money (Saya hampir tidak punya uang).
I am sad here as I have few friends. (Hampir tidak punya teman)
She doesn’t want to go out as she has little money. (She won’t be able to buy anything).
Jika kata sandang "a" digunakan, maka kalimatnya menjadi positif
I have a little drink. I can give it to you if you want.
She has a few friends in the city. On weekends, she sometimes visits one of them.
a heap of, heaps of, a load of, loads of, tons of, a couple of, hundreds of, thousands of
Pilihlah quantifiers yang sesuai. Ingat ada quantifiers yang hanya digunakan untuk uncountable noun dan ada yang untuk countable nouns saja.
- She has ....................money. She cannot buy anything.
- Don't worry. I've got .................time to be with you.
- We need ............... water for our next biking trip.
- Do you know .............people here?
- ..........................people died in this accident. Only ...............people was badly injured.
- ................ of the the cars was expensive.
- How .............money do you need for your next trip?
- I have ..............information about it. Sorry. I can't tell you.